#140Characters #MKT420 Related Concepts

Timing  >>

>>  Remember: It’s All about Timing

Comedy is timing. Politics is timing. Everything is timing. Your tweet will be judged in the context of everyone else’s message at that moment. Consider your best moment of the day, and imagine it before it happens.

If you really have something important to say, consider some lessons learned from the public relations world: Never release on a Monday or a Friday (if you can help it). If you can, aim for Tuesday, mid-morning or early afternoon (109).

Both as a consumer and as a marketing major, I have learned that timing is one of the most important elements in any marketing campaign. If your trying to reach golfers mid-winter, you’re probably not going to have very much success. Planning ahead in order to release your message to consumers exactly when you know they will be looking for your product/service is one of the overall concepts that marketers work toward. That’s what deadlines are for.

In releasing email marketing campaigns one of the biggest lessons I learned starting out was never to release a campaign on Fridays. Your message sits in consumer inboxes until Monday at which point they are so overwhelmed with returning emails yours gets the automatic delete, resulting in very few opens and even fewer click-throughs.

 

Change the meaning of words by linking them  >>

There is a philosophy behind hypertext: A word changes its meaning when it is linked.

>>  There are three dimensions of text in the short form:

> the character (grammar, spelling, syntax, and all the shapes)

> the line ( lines and spaces define the negative domain)

> the link (contains nearly infinite possibility and meaning)

Search engine algorithms are written to mimic human cognition, but they haven’t yet caught up with the short format. This is because we are literally changing the meaning of words by linking them, and it’s not even clear to us yet as humans what that really means (73).

Over the course of this semester, I think our entire class has witnessed the power of links. Whether we’re linking to one another’s blogs, articles, or other resources that better explain the point we are trying to get across, we have created a network that connects each and every one of us outside of the classroom. In a business setting,

I have found that the message in short form can be just as powerful when linked. People who read/follow what you say look to you as a wealth of knowledge. When you don’t have the room to say what you would like to, it leave the perfect opportunity to let someone else say it for you. Being knowledgeable doesn’t always mean you create the content, it can also mean pointing people in the right direction.

 

How can I use these concepts to leverage myself as a brand?  >>

>>  Timing is something that really find myself needing to get a handle on. It’s easy when you don’t have too much time on your hands to just get to blog posts on weekends when free time isn’t so hard to come by. However, people who aren’t attached to their computers have weekends too! Just because I have time then it doesn’t necessarily mean that my readers do. I could use timing to leverage myself as a brand by working to put out content not only on weekends when I have time but scheduling tweets, blog posts, etc. ahead of time in order to put the content out to readers during the week, when they are looking for it.

>>  The power of links could be of huge help to me as a blogger. Because I don’t often find the time to sit down and write lengthy blog posts, I could act as a sort of information aggregator for people looking to learn SEO/SEM tools & tips. I could use what time I do have to let people in on the little tools, tips & tricks I find myself using. By giving my readers insight into what I am doing and how I leverage the tools in a business environment, it might open their eyes to best practices, lead them to tutorials that will ultimately answer their own questions, etc.

0 comments:

Post a Comment