Hindsight really is 20/20

Though I could have seen myself getting on a plane and going to Tanzania four years ago when I started at Champlain, there was one woman along the way who showed me life isn’t just about the day-to-day. Sure, it’s great to go to school, get a job and live a secure lifestyle. But what is life without a little adventure? 
After all, it’s supposed to be about the
journey, isn’t it?

Beth Fitzgerald was not only my boss; she was [still is] a friend. Through her compassion for people and her determination in helping others she showed me that the most important connection we will ever have is not one of material goods and tangible things but it is our own connection to those around us. It is the relationships we develop and the people that we invest our time and hearts into.

After spending a month in Tanzania last May Beth decided that her path in life was forever changed. She returned to Vermont with a new mission; to help the people in Tanzania. She resigned from her job as Student Activities Coordinator at Champlain with the intent of starting a non-profit and returning to Tanzania in January of 2010. Today, her dream has come true. Her non-profit, The African Empowerment Project, is a budding through a series of blog posts and connections Beth is making in Tanzania.



With her spirit and inspiration behind me I am about to venture out into the unknown on a journey of my own that will lead me down a path that I have yet to discover...

Kwa heri ya kuonana!
(see you soon)

1 comments:

K. Brooke Zambroski said...

Hey Aba,

I like how you are chronicling your feelings towards your Tanzania trip. People usually only write about the destination, and not the journey to get there. Its so crazy that you leave only two days after graduation. What a roller coaster of emotions and excitement that must be.

Good luck with your travels,
Brooke

Post a Comment